Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sunday Morning (02/27/11)

Well, I guess I officially became a cancer patient 72 hours ago. Actually I’ve been one for almost 2 weeks, but mentally, I didn’t really think I was one until Thursday (02/24/11) morning. That’s when I had the port put in. Pretty cool procedure actually, and I didn’t feel a thing. Unlike the bone marrow biopsy I had the day before the port. If any of you ever have to have a bone marrow biopsy, ask them to knock you out. It really hurts!!

Anyways, I’ve never really done anything like this before, blogging I mean. I don’t really know what to say here. I guess just to let everyone know that my prognosis is good. I’m not really looking forward to a year of chemo. In fact I’m scared to death by it, but what else can I do. Lately I’ve been experiencing less pain in my leg; not sure why, but I take it as a good sign. I’m hoping that this is an omen of things to come. That it will get better. That, while I may be uncomfortable during a treatment, nothing really bad will happen during it.

I’m not sure that makes sense. It’s hard to put my thoughts down, which is weird for me since I’ve always been good at writing. I guess I just don’t really know how to describe what I’m feeling.

Tomorrow is my first chemo treatment and I have no idea what to expect. The doctors can tell me what could happen, but not what will happen, since chemo affects everyone differently. The not knowing is frustrating, and it scares the hell out of me.

Normally, I am in really good spirits. I laugh about it. Make jokes. Guess I’m just in a bit of a funk right now. As the title of my blog says, “Scott’s Chemo Adventure” begins in less than 24 hours. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

12 comments:

  1. I think your new blogging skills are great. The words will come, as will the continued good omens. I think your leg hurting less is a good sign, too. I love you, babe - more than anything. I have more than my fingers crossed for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there with you Bro and I will NOT let anything bad happen to you. As I said before, my boys want to see and torture...er...hang out with their Uncle Stumpy! Love you Bro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott,

    While I know it is not an adventure of your choosing, I am quite confident that you will take it in stride with increasing ease - after all, medical science should never under estimate the power of stubbornness. As for normally being in good spirits, laughing and making jokes – well I understand that is actually the best possible cancer medicine there is, to be taken in large quantities and chased down with the river of support from all of us that care deeply about you. So, get out of the funk and get this day behind you so you can laugh about it later, after all, you are now a blogger.

    Greg & Joan Lovingfoss

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you this morning. Today the battle begins! Each day is about getting one day closer to being cancer free. We're all here with you, every step of they way. Love you, Sheila
    P.S. Amy, thank you for setting this up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You write better than i can, i would be at a loss for words, i know sounds impossible for me. if you need support or just someone to talk to, i am home every evening with your godson, and you know you can call anytime. if you need anything else, i can drop everything and be down there to help within a day. i'm serious, i will be there if you need me. you are my brother, don't forget that. you will be fine through all this, i'm sure your mother and aunt will make sure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea--this will be a great way to share your successes and concerns with all of your loved ones.

    Wishing you the best of luck on Day 1! We'll be thinking of you and Amy. If there is anything that you need or any way we can help, please don't hesitate to call.

    As requested, fingers are crossed :)

    Lots of love,

    Jessica & Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love you too but promise not to call you "babe". ;) Good luck, and we're sending good vibes your way time and time again. Cancer sucks and you don't so put it to shame!

    Cathy P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Scott,
    I've been thinking about you all morning and hoping that your time at chemo goes painlessly and easily. I'm sure this blog will be helpful to others that may be going through or have to go through similar treatments. Maybe you should describe your actual condition so that others will know what type of cancer your being treated for...( just a suggestion).

    I love you,
    Uncle Bear

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dad went through Colon Cancer and chemo and lived until a very old age. You being so positive will help tremendously, as well as having all the support and good thoughts being sent your way.

    Well wishes!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scott,
    Wishing you some "green mile" style goodwill... Hope you saw the movie, or that won't make any sense.
    Miss you bro... Stay Strong...
    Regards,
    Shawn Jacobson

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Scott, I must agree with Greg & Joan Lovingfoss... Attitude has a lot to due with healing. I have a friend that after the Dr. told her she had 3 months to live that "he was not God and couldn't tell her when to die". That was over 5 years ago. With Love from a friend you haven't met yet, but I have met your wife so I know you are on terrifc man.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW, this is amazing stuff, Scott and Amy's Not So Excellant Adventure. Everyone's quite the blogger and we're getting a good feeling for what's going on. Now that your at leaset settling into some routine, I'm sure many of us would like answers to important questions.
    1. What happens if you have to go to the bathroom during a treatment.. Hold it in, Do you stop and re-start the treatment, bed pans? (inquiring minds want to know.)

    2. Is the hospital jello regular or sugar free, cherry or strawberry? (Do visitors get free jello, I only like the strawberry!)

    3. Does the hospital have wireless internet.. (and most importantly does it block out the "adult entertainment" this could be a deal breaker.

    4. Will you be able to play the piano when this is all over? (Does the fact that you can't play the piano now make any difference?)

    5. When your getting your treatment with the important stuff (can you get some of the 'good stuff' so one could really look forward to this time.)

    These are the real things people (at least me) want to know and I finally can get some inside info!

    Keep the faith guy, Lot's of people with you and attitude is 50% of the battle.. (and there's know doubt that you and your support team have attitude to spare.)

    Gary

    ReplyDelete