Friday, May 13, 2011

A slight hiccup...

Hi all - It's Amy - I hope everyone is doing well.

We've had a slight "hiccup" with Scott's treatment and I always promise to keep everyone posted, so I wanted to do a quick post.

Overnight from Wednesday to Thursday, Scott came down with a fever. Many of you already know that a fever is a serious issue for patients undergoing chemo. The chemo kills everything in his body - both good and bad - and that means his immune system is very compromised. His body can't fight off infection like "healthy" people can. So, a fever has to be taken very seriously. He tried to see if it would go away on it's own (he didn't even wake me up to tell me) and continued to try to fight it throughout Thursday. Thursday afternoon, it continued to get higher, so off we went to the ER. The doctors at Coral Springs Medical Center decided it was best to admit him overnight, and have since decided to keep him overnight tonight, as well.

He feels fine, has energy and shows no obvious signs of infection or pneumonia, so that's all good. The doctors here are just being cautious and aggressive with the prevention and that's why he's going to be here. They are pumping him full of antibiotics and monitoring him. They've also sent some blood cultures to the lab, but those results will take several days. His fever is gone, but he has to go 24 hours without any fever and run the full course of antibiotics before they'll let him go home.

As you can imagine, he's not a happy camper - he's bored and more than slightly annoyed that he's back in the hospital, but he really is doing fine. So no cause for alarm - just keeping everyone posted. :)

Thanks for all the love, as always. We hope everyone has a great weekend!

~Amy

P.S. - Today's medical vocabulary lesson: "Afebrile" means without fever. Scott's Physician's Assistant (PA) used that term in an email to me like I had a clue what she was talking about! Of course, for those of you that know me well know I immediately Googled it. LOL - we're learning much more about medical terms, definitions and situations than I ever thought I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment