Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Update for the Next Phase


Hey everybody.  Thought I would do another post to update everybody on Phase 2 of my treatment.  I have to admit that I was wrong about what is going to come next.  I would’ve bet money that Radiation therapy is what’s next, but now that we’ve met with both the Radiologist and my Surgical Oncologist, we know that surgery is the best option.

As we’ve said in previous posts, they noticed new bone growth, which was good.  The bad part of it is that there wasn’t enough bone growth for Radiation therapy.  If you were to look at my most recent scans, it is almost like my pelvic bone is broken.  There is bone there, but since there wasn’t enough, the remainder of the tumor is what’s filling the gap.  This is also why the pain has gotten worse (although not as bad as when I was diagnosed).

Based on that, if I were to do Radiation, it would stop the bone growth that is still going on, which is something we don’t want.  So after consultation among the team of doctors on my case, they felt that surgery would just be best (especially since I might have had to do surgery after radiation anyways).  The process is actually pretty interesting.  They are going to remove the part of the bone that has the tumor (including the tumor) and replace it with a cadaver’s bone.  They will then put metal plates around it for strength and stability.  What they expect is that as I heal, my bones will regenerate the bone and bring it back to life.  Pretty cool.

The surgery itself is a big deal.  Pelvic surgery of any kind is a tricky thing to do, but I was told that if I had to have a surgery, mine is one of the easier ones, not like a complete replacement or reconstruction surgery.  The surgery itself will take about 4 to 4 ½ hours.  I’ll be recovering back on the 11th floor at UMH (I requested this so that I could have all my favorite nurses again).  I’ll probably be there for 3 or 4 days and then, depending on how I am responding to everything, I will either be sent home or to a rehab facility where I’ll probably go through physical therapy.

I gotta admit that I am a bit scared (I haven’t had a real surgery since who knows when), but I’m more scared about the post-operative pain.  I just hope that it’s not as bad as what I am thinking it could be.  Thankfully, I have a great support system in my wife, my parents and my friends and family.

That’s about it for now.  Just wanted to update everyone on what’s next.  Know for now that I’m ok and enjoying my little break from any kind of treatment.  Thanks again to everybody out there.  All of your well wishes and prayers have been very much appreciated.  I truly and sincerely thank you all.

1 comment:

  1. Scott, thanks for the update. I think in the long run this sounds like the best way to go, but of course that is easy for me to say as it is not my hip. You didn't mention it in your post but Amy has explained that another significant advantage will be that by opening you up the doctors will be able to make sure they are removing everything, and you will then have the confidence of knowing they got it all, it certainly sounds like the best way to go. We wish you all things good and we will come to Fl and house sit the dogs when it is time.
    Love you both
    Greg & Joan.

    ReplyDelete