Monday, March 21, 2011

First In-Patient Treatment - Day One


Hey everyone.  Well, I’m now in the hospital for my first in-patient treatment.  Really sucks.  Got to the Cancer center around 7 this morning and then went to the lab for some bloodwork.  Once that was done, we went to the reception area and waited to see the doctor.

Hey said everything looked good and that I was ok to be admitted.  He mentioned something about possibly changing my chemo treatment to every 2 weeks, instead of every 3 weeks.  There are both advantages and disadvantages to this.  The biggest disadvantage being that my body may not be able to handle it.  I will know more as the week goes on.  The positive side of it that my treatments will be over that much sooner.

Actually haven’t started my treatment yet.  Only been through about 4 hours of hydration so far.  In fact, my IV is beeping saying that the hydration is complete.  Next, I’ll get some anti-nausea meds and other medications and then starts the chemo.  Yippee.  That will be followed by about 4 or 5 hours of hydration again.

Tomorrow, everything should start a bit earlier.

I do have my own room in UM Hospital.  It’s nice.  Couple of comfy chairs to sit in (Amy in one, Dad in the other) and of course the bed.  And there is enough room that if someone was staying here overnight and wanted, a bed could be brought in.  Not a bad view out the window.  Plenty of natural light.  And the big bonus…..the TV actually works.  And I have basic cable.  Got to watch American Choppers on Discovery and now watching Friends.

Nothing else to really report right now.  I’ll have more to say later after the chemo treatment, so I may post again later, if not, I will tomorrow.  Thank you everyone for all the support and warm wishes.  I need them and appreciate them more than you will ever know.

2 comments:

  1. Thinking about you as I grind away at the daily mountain of e-mails... Stay strong dude...
    ~Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Scott,

    You're in my thoughts and prayers!

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete