Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Inpatient #1, Day 2


Hi all! It's Amy blogging today. Scott is doing pretty well (considering) but he's sleepy because of the meds right now so I'm going to let you guys know how he's doing today.

Scott is getting two different chemo drugs this week from the ones he got during is outpatient treatment. The good news is these ones don't make him nauseous like last time. He is beyond relieved. He even has an appetite and is eating his meals. Believe it or not, the food is pretty good here at UM. He was happy they even are letting him pick his meals from a menu.

He is having lots of different meds this week. In addition to the 2 chemo drugs and the drug to protect and coat his bladder, he his getting steroids, meds to help him relax, anti-nausea meds, a blood thinner to help prevent blood clots, and blood pressure meds on standby because his BP is running a little high. He is getting lots and lots of IV hydration, too. He is especially happy his chemo drugs are on the IV drip this time, instead of having to be pushed in manually via the syringes. We are thinking this is what made the difference with his nausea, but it's really all just a guess.

(By the way - if any of you can spell nausea and nauseous without spell check, I'm impressed. I can never spell them right!)

The Ativan (anxiety meds) are making him sleepy right now and I have to tell you, it's pretty funny to see Scott all loopy! Scott rarely drinks or anything, so it's funny when the meds make him silly and extra talkative. After he gets silly, he gets sleepy, so that's where he's at now.

I just asked Scott if there's anything he wants me to tell his people (haha!) and he just told me to tell everyone hi and thank you again for your thoughts and prayers. And if anyone was wondering if Scott is really doing okay, I assure you, he is his normal self and still giving me grief whenever he can. :) I was just trying to debate something with him and he says he's right and to leave him alone because he has cancer and he can do whatever he wants. That argument doesn't work on me, but he still has to try. Normalcy is good.

Dad (Neil) is here for the night shift - we are taking turns so someone is here around the clock. My Dad (Greg) and Joan were awesome enough to come down from NJ for the week and stay at the house during the day while I'm here. It's great because we don't have to worry about the dogs being alone all day. Even if someone comes and lets them out, it's a long time to be alone and God only knows what kind of trouble Oliver would get into! I suspect Oliver is growing on my Dad. Everyone has been such a huge help and we are grateful.

Scott's about to start the 2nd chemo drug and will finally take a shower after that. The nurses here are so great - I have to say I'm VERY impressed with UM - they are taking very good care of Scott.

Thank you all from me, too, for all your well wishes. Much love to all!

Sleepy Scott at the time of this post. (He has it freezing in the room!)

Dad taking pictures.

A small portion of downtown Miami from his window.

Scott sitting in the comfy chair yesterday.







1 comment:

  1. Hang in there both Scott and Amy!! My prayers and my sisters are with you both.

    Love
    mom W

    ReplyDelete